DAY 2 – OCTOBER 14, 2020, 11:00AM – 2:00PM EDT
11:00am ET Opening Remarks
11:10am ET Keynote Address: US Federal Agency Perspective
- Lori Gerhard, Director, Office of Interagency Innovation, Administration for Community Living, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Purpose: to share current and future programs that US government officials are considering related to social connectedness, social isolation, and loneliness.
11:30am ET Break-out Discussions: Promising Solutions- Full Recording
- Breakout 1: Strategies to Address Social Isolation in the United States: Learning from the World – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Grantees
- Purpose: To share strategies from projects across the United States which are intended to increase meaningful social connections and a sense of belonging. These projects reach a range of ages, diverse populations and geographies, and are inspired by global solutions.
- Sharon Roerty, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Breakout 2: CESIL Membership Programs- Full Recording
- Purpose: Coalition members will share their organizational programs and approaches to addressing social isolation and loneliness as well as share their thoughts on the value of joining our multi-stakeholder collaboration, CESIL.
- Kasley Killam, MPH, Founder, Social Health Labs
- Breakout 3: ASPEN Institute Technology Innovators- Full Recording
- Purpose: To focus on the potential impact of social technologies, like Facebook or Marco Polo, in helping navigate loneliness and connecting people. The discussion will feature participants from the tech industry and will feature the opportunities and challenges for research and development.
- Kristine Gloria, Associate Director, Emerging Technology Initiative, Aspen Digital, The Aspen Institute
12:30pm ET BREAK & RE-JOIN THE MAIN SESSION
12:35pm ET The Voice of the Next Generation: How Social Isolation and Loneliness Impacts Young Americans
- Purpose: video presentation from Beyond Differences showcasing the perspectives of young Americans facing feelings of loneliness and the effects of social isolation. Solutions for how to address these effects are offered up by next generation leaders.
- Laura Talmus, Executive Director, Beyond Differences
1:00 pm ET Commitments to Action (5 minute spark round video submissions)*
- Purpose: to share public announcements of organizational commitments to address social connectedness, isolation, and/or loneliness for nationwide (and even global) impact. Setting the stage for long-term tracking and facilitating best practices and lessons learned over the coming years.
- Abbie Gilbert, Associate Director, Office of Health Affairs & Advocacy, Humana
1:55pm ET Closing Remarks